Thanks + Mixed m. approaches

Thanks + Mixed m. approaches

by Alessio Surian -
Number of replies: 8

Grazie Mario! great to access this on-line (and blended) opportunity to share. Having a first look at the list of competences I am asking myself (and share my question with you): -since I often work/do research according to a quanti-quali / mixed method approach - are two separate (one: quantitative research; one: qualitative research) lists the best way to map my competences? should I identify further (inter/cross-fields) competences?

Re: Thanks + Mixed m. approaches

by Valentina Grion -

I agree with Alessio. Many methodology researchers are going to recognize quali-quant/mixed methods as the best way to understand phenomena...and, at the end, the best way to do research.

We don't call into question, I think - the opportunity/necessity to understand quali and quanti methods and their distinguishing instruments. However we have to consider mixed methods too, as a specific way to do research.

Do you agree?

by Deleted user -

Dear Alessio, dear Valentina, and dear all,

Your messages are very important because help me to reflect on the interconnectedness of competencies in doing research. As you experienced in your work the understanding of quantitative and qualitative methods is fundamental  to realize a mixed-method design. Moreover I can imagine, for example, that to realize a survey design is very important to understand and to have ability in quantitative methods...

As beginner in this field I think that a gradual acquisition of competencies need to be pursued. In my opinion to have separate and well-defined sections (lists) gives more clarity and makes the model simpler to use in group.

Anyway it's also important to highlight these connections. For example to do this, one competency to add in the "mixed method design" section of the model could be:

Understanding the connections between the mixed method approach and the collection of quantitative data. (or something more specific...)

What do others participants think about ?

Mario

P.S. Please feel free to identify and write all the competencies you think are important!

by Monica Fedeli -

I was wondering if we can add two items: 1. understanding the mixed method approach and the connection between quanti-qualitative methods, in that case Mario's proposal in appropriate, and 2. how to plan and conduct quanti-qualitative research (what we often do in our research projects) as Alessio and Valentina suggested

What do you think?

Ciao

m.  

by Anna Serbati -

Thank you all for these reflections and suggestions.

I agree with the proposed item on the mix methods approach. With this regard, I share in attachment the editorial of the Journal of mixed method research that Tashakkori and Creswel wrote in 2007. I think this is quite useful, in particular in the mix methods design phase, when the researcher drafts the research questions. 

In the line with Monica's proposal for the new item, it is also possible to add the competence "Ability to write quanti-qualitative research questions", which specifies the possibilities for multiple research questions.

What is your opinion on that?

grazie

Anna

by Daniela Frison -

Dear all,

I agree with you about interest on the mix methods approach.

Many thanks Anna for the attached document!

In the line with you and Monica, I propose another focus/competence “Understanding mixed methods sampling techniques”, a complex topic about MM approach.

Thank you everybody for sharing knowledge and suggestions, this space is very useful also for my English!

Buon we!

Daniela

by Concetta Tino -

Dear all,

mix methods approach offers the opportunity to esplore  a research problem using different tools  and ways, but I was wondering  if could be useful  another item “Understanding how  establish the correct level of interaction between quanti-qualitative data” .

Are there any criteria   we have to respect, independently of our research question or  the level of interaction is strongly connected with it?

Thank you ,

Tina

by Deleted user -

Dear all!

wonderful interaction until this moment on the PAPER Moodle space. I really appreciate your participation. I think that we can summarize our discussion in this way:

New competencies to add in the model:

1)Understanding the connections between the mixed method approach and the collection of quantitative and qualitative data.
2)Understanding mixed methods sampling techniques.
3)Understanding how establish the correct level of interaction between quanti-qualitative data.
4)Understanding what are the steps in conducting quanti-qualitative research.
5)Ability to write quanti-qualitative research questions.

Some days to reflect again and to rack one's brains to formulate others competencies on educational research.

See you soon !

Mario

P.S. I tried to upload in MOODLE the folders of the books, but they are too heavy. I'm thinking to attach the files in a mail to the whole group. Some alternative idea?